Why is devops tightly coupled with the cloud
What is the cloud ?
- We are mostly going to talk about IaaS
So how is IaaS born ?
- Iaas was born with virtualization
- But virtualization is not new !
- in 1972 IBM invented hypervisors (VM/CPS 370)
- This was the birth of virtualization
- in 1998 VMWare was created
- Amazon EC2 went in beta in 2006, production started late 2007
A focus on AWS
- Virtualization API: access to computing power by an API
- EC2 is a server factory !
- AWS is not only EC2
- You probably already heard about S3
- Other services developped over time (load balancers, databases, queues, caches, dns, mailing …)
So what’s new ?
What’s new: Technically
- network unification (in amazon only one IP per hosts, no more juggling between IP addresses)
- no more hardware to manage (but someone is still doing it !)
- OS configuration streamlined, we have now identified the bare minimal
- Easier focus on delivering applications
What’s new: Scaling
- Scaling is also hardware (a rack is limited to 42U)
- Scale up: unplug ip and disk, get more horse power, plug back ip and disk, running again !
- But Scale out is better: horizontal scaling (not always easy)
- And can also scale down (both ways we used to scale up)
What’s new: Scaling (continued)
- Scale down, you’re thinking about long term
- With previous concepts, but a bit further: you can scale up and down everydays
- Jumping from capacity planning (predict money spendings) to capacity optimization (predict money savings)
- Traffic spikes in years for your buisness (it’s christmas !)
- This is a new way of thinking, it’s a new culture ! (“don’t repair, replace”, “don’t update, replace”)
What’s new: Availabilty
- I can launch now, a server in asia, euope, and america, and have them all ready in 5 five minute
- New deployement patterns with less (or no) downtime
- Some services are already highly available (S3, ELB)
- But don’t lie: HA is also harder with no network control
What’s new: Organization
- This type of scaling and availabilty saves you some $ (compared to traditional methods)
- Dev can spawn environements on demand, don’t wait for your IT service !
- One infrastructure per project, disconnected from others infrastructures, better focus
- Company can know how much any project costs, for integration, for prod
- Cloud is cool for trainings !
- A place to collaborate with customers
But cloud is not only happiness
- No adding of network interface
- Unpredictible network performance
Then things continued to change
- new services (blitz.io, contiunous.io, saucelabs, cloudbees, loglly, pagerduty)
- they were able to launch their service thanks to the cloud
- they help you build your own service, with the cloud, for the cloud
- lot of new projects (more generic, horizontally scalable, new filesystems)
- Infrastructure aware applications
- Roaming data stores and databases
- Horizontal scaling needs to abstract state, do stateless where ever you can
Thanks ! Questions ?